www.flickr.com

Thursday, May 19, 2005

New Beginnings

I changed my life recently. Really, the lives of my entire immediate family.

I think it's for the good, although time will tell.

We decided to sell our house in our appreciating, urban, hip and family-friendly neighborhood and move to a suburban/country home on an acre. It's only 10 minutes away from our old house, but it feels like hours. No more walking to dinner, coffee, ice cream, or parks. Goodbye to families my children have known since they were babies.

On the flip side, our kids can ride their bikes here - no hills, plus few cars, plus a great long circular driveway = lots more practice. We already knew one family, so we were offered an instant welcome in this small community - which we would probably have received anyway as total newcomers, they are that nice. From the minute we get home from school until we call them in for dinner, they are playing with friends - mostly outdoors, sometimes in, at various houses. Life already seems simpler, less rushed. Of course, it helps that summer is approaching, days are lengthening, and the girls are growing older. At 4 1/2 and 2 1/2, they are much more self-reliant than they have ever been, and it gets better every day.

In the spirit of these changes, I'm launching this spot, from which I can spout nonsense and trivialities at whim. And keep track of moments I want to remember, or share. And write, just write.

-s

No comments: