www.flickr.com

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Biscuit!

Last night, I went to see Anne Lamott speak at a local book store with my sister and our friends (thanks for coming, girls!). After the reading, I spent far too much time and money in the conveniently-located children's section.

When we read in the evening, Hannah resists me when I ask her to read a word, or more - "I want YOU to read to ME!" she states, adamantly. On the way home from dinner tonight, I told the girls about all of the books I had chosen, and noted that I thought Hannah would be able to read some of them on her own. Thus prepared, she eagerly picked up this and read it to Hazel and me - in its entirety! Not done, she then read this one as well!

I'm so proud of her - she's known she could read words and write words and sentences, and she's read the BOB books, but this was the first time she'd read as complete and complex (in a first-reader-kind-of-complexity, granted) book.

I love to read, so it's very special to watch her begin to see the draw, herself. So sweet.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow, that Hannah is impressive! I'm so ready for Junebug to start reading. Hopefully kindergarten will give her the added confidence she needs in that regard. The outing to see Ms. Lamott was fun. Thanks for inviting me. And, better a day late than never, Happy Anniversary!