www.flickr.com

Monday, April 03, 2006

Pump It Up

I thought this was an interesting article.

Is the breast pump the new Blackberry?

First of all, the title...and this premise - "Like BlackBerrys, pumps give us freedom we otherwise wouldn't have in exchange for inviting us to go to lengths that we otherwise couldn't," are challenging.

I have both a breastpump and a Blackberry. While I have used both extensively, I hadn't correlated them before now.

The Blackberry enables me to get my personal e-mail throughout the day, since the firewalls at work prevent me from getting it online. I also love it while out of the office, as I can keep up with e-mail just enough so that I'm not overwhelmed when I return. I could live without it, but it does make life easier. Plus - I can keep up with my blog reading on it, so what's not to love?

I used my Pump In Style with both girls, Hannah for 15 months and Hazel for 2 years. I went back to work 6 weeks post-partum with both of them, so this was significant time. I totally agree with LLL:

"La Leche League, the half-century-old pro-nursing organization, approaches the device with a curled lip. "Before investing your money in a breast pump, you may want to consider whether it is something you really need," the group sniffs in its seventh revised edition of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. "When mother and baby are together most of the time"—the group's ideal—"a mother may have no reason to pump her breasts."

But since I was not at home, I needed a good pump. With Hazel, I was lucky enough some days to visit her daycare at lunch, and so limit my pumping to twice a day. Likewise, when Hannah was little, we lived close to my office and I went home for lunch each day. However, I also had to drive many rural miles during Hazel's infancy, and like Julie I had no recourse to the "troublesome convention of modesty" and gave many a trucker a great story at the next Texas truckstop.

The pump may not be fun or pleasant, but it did help me accomplish my goal of nursing as long as both my child and I wanted to do so.

The author concludes, "In the end, breast pumps aren't proof of our maternal dedication or abdication, or evidence of our feminist cowardice. They're a convenience that allows us to have it both ways, for a little while at least. That's not the same thing as having it all, but it's a compromise worth savoring."

What do you think?

**UPDATED - ok, ok, I'm having trouble with my links, but I have to go back to work. Will try again tonight.

***UPDATED - Hurray, I figured out links! OK, maybe not Earth-shattering, but it makes me happy.

1 comment:

amamgets said...

I think that whatever works for you is a good thing. Each mama/baby couple is unique-- and you obviously figured out the 'right way' for you and the babies.