www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Beefy Tomatoes & Marble

It's hard to type over the screams of the too-tired children, but I'll try.

First of all - head over to Tuvalu to wish Oldest a Happy 21st Birthday!

Isn't he the cutest?

Tonight I made the most delicious soup, redolent with the flavors of more 100 degree days strung together than I care to count. It's from one of my favorite new cookbooks, Fresh Food Fast, by Peter Berley.

Chilled Tomato Soup with Shallots, Cucumber* and Corn

  • 3 pounds tomatoes - I used those marvelous heirlooms I've been finding at WFM lately, which taught me that meaty is indeed an adjective of approbation.
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
Set 3 quarts of water to boiling.

Roughly chop the tomatoes, add the salt, stir to mix, and store in the frig for about 20 minutes to coalesce.
  • 1 large shallot, chopped finely
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar - I used sherry vinegar, it worked fine. Mix the shallots and vinegar in a small bowl and let sit
  • 1 ear of corn, shucked
Add the corn to the boiling water with some salt - cook until tender, 1-2 minutes. Transfer the corn to a plate and cool in the frig as well.
  • 1 cucumber, or a couple of small picklers*
The recipe says to peel the cucumbers, but I don't peel the picklers. Halve them or it, scoop out the seeds if it's a big one, and cut into 1/4 inch cubes.

*If you're like Lisa, and you don't like cucumbers, you can omit them, but I'd add some celery for that nice crunch.

Get out a food processor or a blender, and puree the tomatoes that have been sitting in the frig. Strain them into a large bowl, or whatever you want to serve the soup from, and discard the solids. Add in the shallots - you don't need to add all of the vinegar they've been soaking in, do it to taste.
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
Cut the corn kernels from the cob and add those, add the cucumbers, and add some fresh chopped herbs - basil, tarragon, parsley, or cilantro (alone or in any combination. I used basil tonight.) Serve at room temp or chilled - it's delicious either way. I'd post a picture, but we ate it all.

Reviews:
Lilly - It kind of smells bad
Hazel - Well, it smells bad, but it tastes good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another highlight from today - I bought a coffee table!

Our current - now previous - table was purchased at Ikea on the way home from the beach last year. We clearly had absorbed that beach house mentality and were unduly influenced:

















It's nice, but it's not right for our house. Want to buy it?

Today, I picked up this little beauty:
















Doesn't it look great in my living room?


















I think so too. I love Craigslist.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

That soup sounds delish, but I'm surprised you made something with corn in it after all I've heard about "The Omnivores Dilemna."

Daisy said...

LOL! True, corn is evil, but this was just one lone cob...

Antonia said...

Nice pad! I'm into the wooden panelling. That sofa looks properly slippers-and-good-book comfortable, too.

If our summer comes back, I'll try the soup. I seem to have wished summer away too hard: I've been wearing long sleeves and carrying an umbrella all week. Oops.

Krispy said...

I can't wait to see it in person! I've seen it emailed, online and on your blackberry.

Girl con Queso said...

Yum. I'm totally trying that soup this week. Even if it does allegedly smell questionable. It looks great!

meno said...

Love the comments from the kids. It sounds good, especially for someone of my limited culinary skills.
Thanks for stopping by my blog too.

Karla May said...

If I ever get to cook again, I'm gonna MAKE that soup, damnit!

urban-urchin said...

The soup sounds good. I might attempt it if I can duct tape the baby to me long enough to cook anything.

The table is great- is that marble?

Krispy said...

Now that I've seen the coffee table, it is more lovely than the old one. it's just perfect!