www.flickr.com

Monday, September 18, 2006

Nosy Meme

This meme speaks to me because I am always curious about other people’s mundane habits and how they differ from mine, in an anthropological sort of a way.

That is to say, I'm nosy.

1. If you make sweet tea, or your favorite style, do you use Luzianne, Lipton or something else?

I rarely drink iced tea, to which I assume this question refers, except I do make an exception when eating barbecue at lunch*. In that context, it must be sweetened, but who the hell cares what kind it is?

However, I love hot tea, and have several favorites. My original favorite was Earl Grey, with a little milk, and from there I began to also enjoy both English Breakfast and Irish Breakfast. These are all afternoon or evening teas for me – must have my coffee in the morning. When I was pregnant with Hazel, I got hooked on Traditional Medicinal’s Pregnancy Tea, Female Toner Tea, and Raspberry Leaf Tea – they are all great. I still enjoy them because they are a little sweet, from the raspberry, but not overly so. And perfect for when I want a warm cuppa without caffeine. My current fave, however, is their Hojicha, Roasted Green Tea – I love love love it. It has just enough caffeine for the afternoon or morning, although I wouldn’t do it at night, and the flavor is sublime. Many green teas are too bitter for me – this one is perfect. I also have been known to brew a pot, add some honey and mint, and ice it. Which takes me back to the original question, now, doesn’t it?

* If I'm eating barbecue for dinner, I have a beer, obviously.

2. What brand of toilet paper do you buy and is it the larger rolls or regular?
See, this is also interesting to me. Sad, isn’t it? We used to buy Charmin, because Jesse’s mom always used it and I was impressed by its fullness and softness, I admit. Then, our cheapo friends guilted me into spending less on, you know, toilet paper, so I switched to whatever inexpensive brand Target or Costco carries – Scott’s or the generic brand. And you know what? I prefer the cheapo, single-ply kind – it lasts forever, which is a big plus in a house (and neighborhood) of girls. Those Charmin rolls would be gone in a day or two, literally, while the cheap ones last us a week. Is that TMI?

3. Which brand of bath soap do you use? Body wash or bar?

I love the Olive Oil soap, brand neolia. It smells great, and also lasts awhile (sensing a theme? I hate to shop for essentials.). Bar, please.

4. What cereal do you buy for yourself?

OK, I’m still in freak out mode from The Omnivore’s Dilemma, so here are my criteria for breakfast cereals: 1) as few ingredients as possible 2) no enrichment, please 3) whole grains 4) plenty of fiber and as much protein as possible, and a little sugar but not too much 5) real sugar, that is, not that fake stuff 6) NO CORN.

Cereals that fit this criteria and which I love: Grape Nuts & Kashi brand Autumn Wheat, which are like frosted mini wheats only 1000 times better. I also get some Cascadian Farms - what we call "small squares," and their Hearty Something - things the girls love and which are still ok even if they don't meet my freakish list of requirements.

5. What brand of dishwasher detergent do you use? Liquid or tablets?

So I try to buy eco-friendly cleaning products. We use Citra-Solv, Ecos laundry detergent (love it!), Ecos dish soap, etc. But I have to draw the line at dishwasher detergent – I just haven’t found anything that works as well as my Cascade. Powder, of course.


6. What’s your favorite fruit?

Traditionally, it has been strawberries. However, I love melon (all kinds), fresh cherries, good apples, like Honey Crisps, all stone fruits…really, what fruit won’t I eat?

7. Which brand of laundry detergent do you use?

Ha – see #5. It smells so lovely and fresh and has no petroleum products in it.

8. Do you like chocolate?

In my desk drawer at work, next to my Hojicha and my unsalted roasted/toasted almonds, you can always find a bag of bulk chocolate discs, sometimes bittersweet, sometimes dark, sometimes milk, always chocolate.


9. Are you right or left-handed?

I’m a rightie.

10. Do you still write checks or use a debit card?

I’ve used Quicken for all my banking needs since 1994. I pay my bills online via Quicken or sometimes the bank’s website directly. So, checks are used for the sitter, the school (piano lessons and random purchases) and people who knock on our door and catch us at good moments.

Wasn't this fun? Now it's my turn to be nosy - Kris, Antonia and La Turista, I tag YOU! Want to do it anyway? Please do! Especially if you're in another country, a la Antonia's request for photos of weird food.

4 comments:

blackbird said...

oooh, you've done a good job with this.
(which means, I want to re-think all my answers)

Agent X said...

ok...i am almost done with freakanomics...if i give it back will you loan me the omnivore book so i can figure out what is wrong with corn?

La Turista said...

So - you're making me think now, is that it? I'll post as soon as the rest of this cold drains out of my head. Oy.

antonia said...

I just wanted to assure you that I am going to do this. (I've never been tagged before: I'm very excited.) 1. it saves me wondering what to post about next and 2. it gives me some wonderful work-avoidance material. Hooray!