www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Lethargy

So where were we? Oh yes, Hazel and her dead animal quotes. Fresh out of those, I'm afraid.

Friday was the last day of school, so after Jesse helped his adolescents commence, and the small child I was babysitting stopped throwing up on me enough to be driven home, we piled into the well-packed mini-van and drove off into the night. It was past 10 pm when we left, and Hannah fell asleep before we left our street, with Hazel following a few chatty minutes later.


We drove until 2:30 am (well, I did drive for an hour and a half, so I can say *we,* right?), arrived at Grandma's Lakehouse without mishap, and fell right to sleep. As predicted, the girls got up at the crack of dawn, the fart of the first teensy sparrow, and pestered Jesse to take them fishing. I had taught them well that I was not going to go fishing at dawn. Poor Jesse entertained them on his four hours of sleep and maintained a good mood throughout.

Luckily, Grandma arrived a few hours later, and the cousins after lunch, so he was able to stop entertaining soon.


My MIL has added a terrific deck to the house, and just recently a new dock and boatslip as well as a new canoe. It's a great relaxation spot, full of activities for the kids, who get better each visit at keeping themselves safely and happily occupied. Jesse swam with them, took them on countless canoe trips, and baited each child's hook with grace and patience. He held their fish for them, removed the hooks, and let them throw the fish back in the water to the best of their abilities. Have I mentioned how much I love this guy?


I planned the menu earlier in the week, shopped at CM for the essentials one day during lunch, and packed and hauled it all down there. We had grilled chicken marinated in olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt, rosemary, and red pepper flakes, corn on the cob, and fresh green beans the first night, followed by grilled pineapple. Challah bread french toast and bacon the next morning, leftover cold chicken for lunch (YUM), and a huge salad with spinach, field greens, red bell pepper, sugar snap peas, edamame, tomatoes and grilled steak for dinner the next day. Bagels and smoked salmon with red onion, capers & tomatoes for our last morning, then we packed back up and headed home. Holidays, for me, are all about the food.








Oy. I'm tired. Hot and tired, specifically. And it's only the first day of summer.

I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's newest book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, and am loving it. It's incredibly inspirational, but such a commitment. More later.







4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a lovely start to the summer...

Lisa said...

The photos are lovely! Did you use your new "glass"?

Agent X said...

Sounds like so much fun. Another food book? Have you finished the Omnivore's Dilemma?

Sinda said...

Jennifer - it really was

Lisa - yes, some with the new lens, some with the old - thank you!

Angela - I mostly finished it, then gave it to Viktor. I got what I needed to get, though.