www.flickr.com

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Babies are everywhere

A pleasure I don't get to enjoy as often as I would like is sitting in my living room, and watching my back yard.

The entire wall of the room is glass (old sliding glass doors which I would dearly love to update), and our yard is a little green oasis surrounded by forest on three sides. Nature comes into our yard, and I love me some nature.

In February, a male Red Bellied Woodpecker made a nest in one of the trees in our backyard. This involved spending days on end chiseling out a hole in to the side and then straight down the middle of the trunk. We could see and hear him at work all day, every day, for weeks. The ground underneath the tree was littered with sawdust and wood shavings.

It all paid off for him, however - he met a girl, she moved in, and there were eggs suspiciously soon.

About a month ago, we noticed baby chirping sounds in the evenings if we were standing near the tree, and we've seen both parents flying in supplies day and night. I've since learned that a pair will nest in the same spot for up to ten years, and lay 2 clutches of eggs a year with around 4 eggs per clutch.

Work has been intense lately, with 12 hour days all week, plus another 2-5 hours each night after the girls went to bed. We wrapped up on Friday, and I came home from San Antonio in time to kiss my sister and kids hello, grab Jesse, and head downtown to meet my posse. We met them at AMOA to see an exhibition by a mutual acquaintance, then walked leisurely downtown to one of my new favorite spots, Lambert's, for some "fancy barbecue." I loved Lou Lambert's food in his previous restaurant, but the food here is even better. Not pretentious at all, but perfection.

Kris and I had stopped in for a quick, 20 minute snack one night, and we were anxious to enjoy a reprise of the charcuterie plate and the rock shrimp - both delivered again. In fact, we ended up ordering a second round of each. The broiled oysters were so amazing, I think it was only the beer that kept me from ordering a second round of them as well.

Needless to say, I was exhausted when we got home at midnight, and thanks to my marvelous husband, I slept in until NOON today - an unheard-of treat.

So I found myself at home, alone, in the early afternoon, and I was able to partake of that favorite pasttime (remember?) of sitting on the couch and looking out the window. Today I was rewarded by our first sighting of one of the baby woodpeckers - a little male, fuzzy-headed and long-beaked, who kept sticking his head out to wait for lunch.

I also saw several juvenile cardinals, as well as Titmice(Titmouses?)and Swallows. It's clearly that time of year in these parts.

It was a beautiful way to spend an afternoon, and I feel so much better for it. Tomoorrow - yoga, and then a jaunt BACK to San Antonio, with Jesse but without children, to watch an NBA playoff game - not quite as restful, but I think we (especially the HE part of we) will enjoy ourselves.

Ciao -