www.flickr.com

Friday, June 22, 2007

Rat tat tat

We joined a CSA earlier this month. Several years ago, we had a weekly delivery of produce and eggs, but we stopped it shortly before we moved - we just weren't able to keep up with all those vegetables. I'm hopeful that we're in a better place now - one or the other of us is home far earlier in the day now that we've moved, and the kids are far less under foot.

Last Saturday was our first day to get the basket of produce, and it was all I'd hoped it would be: fresh okra, tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, basil, sage, peaches, onions, & beets - all beautiful and delicious. Last night, while enjoying my solitude, I made a quick ratatouille (and yes, I will admit, I DO want to see the movie - it's one that I would happily enjoy with the girls). I used the tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, my own basil, onions, and stewed them all over high heat with some water for about fifteen minutes (I sauteed the onions and some garlic in olive oil first). I also made some bulghar wheat, and ate the vegetables, redolent of summer, served over the bulghar.



I was so happy to have it again for lunch today - it's one of those dishes that improves with time to sit and let the flavors mingle.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

It looks delicious!

We also are all waiting for that movie, good enough to eat with your eyes. Colin asks me, "How do I get to Remy's restaurant in Paris?"

Antonia said...

Every time you write a food post, it makes my mouth water. I'm definitely going to try this one.

Karla May said...

I love that you even know what "CSA" means.

Bless you, my child.