www.flickr.com

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Summer Treat

While in California, Hannah tried a new flavor of ice cream - orange. She loved it so much I decided to try my hand at it today.

I went with a lighter version, since we get plenty of heavy cream around here:

Bring to boil 1 1/2 cups water and 1 cup sugar.
As soon as it boils, take it off of the heat and stir in the zest from two valencia oranges. Let it cool.

Meanwhile, juice 4 valencias and 2 lemons, and add a little to 3/4 cup good yogurt in a large mixing bowl - whisk to incorporate, then add the rest of the juice. Once the sugar/zest water is cooled, add it, whisk it all together, and chill. Then, make in your ice cream maker however it says to do it.

That's all - it's amazing to me how easy good ice cream / frozen yogurt is to make. I put off buying an ice cream machine for years, but I'm so glad I got one a few months ago - perfect for summer.

No comments: