www.flickr.com

Monday, June 18, 2007

Summer

Tonight we made the perfect summer meal.

I bought some ground pork at the farmers market, and into it mixed chopped up garlic, lime leaves, scallions, and cilantro, as well as some finely chopped bacon. While it coalesced in the frig for awhile, I mixed thinly sliced fresh cucumbers with julienned carrots, dressed with rice vinegar, lemon juice, toasted sesame oil, salt, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. To that I added some reconstituted wakame, tossed it all together, then let it merge in the frig as well. Jesse made perfect rice, then grilled zucchini slices and dropped them in a bowl with lemon zest and juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, and torn basil leaves. I made small patties from the pork mixture, fried until dark and delicious, and then tried to keep myself from eating too much.



Photos don't do it justice, but it was divine. Hannah ate two pork patties, and as much cucumber and seaweed as she could get her hands on. Hazel ate one pork patty, and tons of rice, and our seven year-old guest tried a little of everything.

The girls and their guest are having a sleep over tonight - they've planned to camp in the yard. Jesse, super-dad, gamely set up the tent for them, helped them get their gear, insisted they couldn't sleep naked nor with food in their tent, and read them a story.






I was just typing, "We'll see how long they last..." (the girls having gone out 3 minutes ago) when Hannah returned, saying, "Mamma - too scared!"

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I would eat it!

Krispy said...

as I often say to Lisa when she has made something fabulous,
"can you be my mommy?"

YUM! and really, all you had to say was "grilled zuccini" and I would have been there.