www.flickr.com

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Like Easter, sort of

Jesse took the girls swimming Friday night after dinner, and I pottered around doing laundry and straightening up before I let myself sit down with a book. At some point I passed the sliding glass door in the living room, and saw this just outside:



It's a Tufted Titmouse, who evidently ran smack into the glass.

You probably don't know how close we are to our Titmice. When we first moved in, we had a bird house sitting on an etagere on the patio, and didn't realize a Titmouse family had nested in it. One day were all standing on the patio, when this ferocious little bird began flying around chiding and scolding us as he buzzed past. We finally realized what he was fussing about, and moved the house away from where we sat.

For the longest time, I've called them all Tommy Titmuss, as in, "Look, there's Tommy!" each time we'd see him / her at the bird feeder. Hazel became curious - was it really only one bird? were many birds named Tommy? - so each time we'd see one or more birds at the feeder, Jesse and I would call out, "There's Tiffany!" or "Hey, Theresina's here today!" There's really no shortage of T names for Titmice, it turns out. Terence, Tenicia and Tony hang with Tommy and his cohorts on a regular basis. So you can imagine my shock and sadness at finding Tiffany out cold on our patio.

When the girls came home, I told them the sad story, and we went with trepidation to view the body.

It was gone.

The dog and the cat were indoors and seemingly guilt-free. We scoured the immediate vicinity, but found no feathers or other incriminating DNA-based clues. I think between the time I took this...


IMG_0188.JPG
Originally uploaded by sinda kate.


...and hurried inside to upload my morbid photos, the concussed bird came to, shook itself, and flew off. Sound plausible?

4 comments:

peevish said...

I have heard that it can happen. Actually, I have wondered how often it happens at your house, with all that glass.

Krispy said...

entirely. I still have red feathers on my kitchen window from a dead hit. I never found the bird though.

It used to happen very often at Betsy's house. While we lived there that short amount of time, I buried 2. That was only the ones I found.

La Turista said...

We get this all the time, too. I've even posted about it myself! And there have been times where the body disappeared, so I always choose to believe that the bird limped away on her own two feet.

Jennifer said...

There was an article I heard on NPR about all the bird deaths caused by windows, which can be virtually invisible at times to avians. As a vet, I sincerely doubt that amount of damage is reversible in such a short time. With so much wildlife around, an easy source of that much protein and energy isn't going to be left for long. Sorry to have such a dismal opinion. You can put some little window stickers on the glass to help prevent repeats - at our Montessori school there are crow cut-outs on the windows.