www.flickr.com

Saturday, October 27, 2007

I Put a Spell on You

The pizza dough I made yesterday hardly rose at all - it was too cool inside, I think. Instead of pizza, Jesse made spaghetti for many children,while I crossed the street to sip wine and chat with their parents. Afterwards, the children left our house to slumber together down the street, and Jesse and I headed out. We went to Half Priced Books, where I picked up two Ruch Reichl memoirs (Garlic and Saphires and Tender at the Bone). My sister loved the latter, and after reading the first chapter of the first, I knew I'd agree. Then we went to see Michael Clayton at the Alamo, and it was terrific. The midnight crowd cheered when it ended, which seems a hard feat to pull off.

Today, after a party, trick or treating at Nordstrom's, and hard-core thrifting, the pizza dough was ready to be worked. The pizza came out great, and I've been sitting in the living room with a glass of red wine, reading the Ruth Reichl book. Hannah has been practicing going to sleep on her own, with no adult in site, in exchange for a stuffed animal ("lovie") a night, not to exceed ten lovies total. Yes, I've resorted to bribery, but I'm OK with it - I have a long term plan.* Hazel wanted to try her hand at lovie-achievement tonight too, but soon came out and curled up next to me on the chair. She quickly fell asleep, and as Jesse took her to bed, Screamin' Jay Hawkin's voice hustled out of the kitchen radio and instantly made me think of Lisa.

I was compelled to grab the handy laptop, and here I am.

It's been in the 40's at night here, cold enough for me to break out the down comforter. Oh Down Comforter, how do I love thee? SO SO much. I slept until 9 am today, with no children to break my rest, and Toast safely locked out of the bedroom. I didn't want to leave my cozy bed.

In fact, I think I need to pour another glass of wine, and hie thither now. Before I start typing any more weird words or busting out with more Screamin' Jay Hawkins memories.

*I'm adamantly against bribes, in general, as I think you get short-term results at best, and a preference for external rewards over internal motivation at worst. BUT, my theory is that Hannah had convinced herself that she COULD NOT sleep alone, and I just wanted us all to be clear that she could. She loves stuffed animals like a whore loves crack, and the first night, when I suggested she should get two instead of one since it would be the hardest night, she blurted, "Good night shut the door turn out the light GO!" and we never heard a peep out of her. It's been the same every night since. We'll see how it goes whhen the lovie well runs dry. I love helping them go to sleep; I just hate feeling like it's a prison sentence I have to endure every single night.

1 comment:

peevish said...

And I really, really want to see Michael Clayton. Mmm, George.

I'm so glad my Mom convinced me that babies really, truly can get to sleep on their own. That bit of advice paid off big time, especially once they reached toddlerhood and were already used to it. They aren't opposed to a nice snuggle at bedtime, but it isn't at all mandatory.

Tender at the Bone is a wonderful book. I haven't read the other one. Let me know how you like it. Have you read Comfort me with Apples? Also good.