www.flickr.com

Friday, November 30, 2007

I did the best I could

Hannah went on her very first school field trip today, and I was one of the drivers / chaperones. She had been adamant that I not drive, but only after I'd volunteered, so I hated to back out. After some discussion, I determined that she was most anxious that she not have to use her booster seat, so I agreed to ditch it for the event. This morning, while waiting with the five other mothers before we left, I learned that each of their children had felt the same way. All but one of us had acquiesced.

Legally, she doesn't need it any longer, but my rule has always been that a child should sit in the safest seat available at the time. This has worked to keep the booster in my car, but to allow her to ride with other people without one. As far as I'm concerned, we'll keep it as long as possible.

So, I got to go, and although she'd been opposed to it so strongly, during the event she kept running up to me and hugging me, so I'm pretty sure she was glad I came. Also, she asked if I'd drive when they go see the Nutcracker next week, so ditto.

We took five other children, for a total of six. Afterwards, I wished I'd allotted time for yoga so I could unwind. Keeping track of six heads in a sea of hundreds is stressful! But no, I went to my office and did mind-numbing busy work for the rest of the rainy afternoon, munching on ginger cookies and drinking herbal tea. It was pretty nice, actually.

And now, look what happened - November has come and gone. I didn't quite get here very day, but Longfellow assures me that that's fine.

Loss and Gain

When I compare
What I have lost with what I have gained,
What I have missed with what attained,
Little room do I find for pride.

I am aware
How many days have been idly spent;
How like an arrow the good intent
Has fallen short or been turned aside.

But who shall dare
To measure loss and gain in this wise?
Defeat may be victory in disguise;
The lowest ebb is the turn of the tide.

Which makes me feel that all is well.

2 comments:

La Turista said...

I'm with you on the carseat issue. Peach still uses her booster seat even though she's in second grade and is head and shoulders above most of the third years in her class. The DPS billboards and AAA say boosters until 57 inches tall, so I'm going with that.

peevish said...

57" tall? I was about 14 years old before I hit that mark! Of course, that was due to all the cigarette smoke surrounding, and stunting, my growing body.

Sounds like a great field trip!