Jesse has discovered a great new recipe for Buckwheat pancakes, from Deborah Madison's book, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. We tried it out on Krispy and co. last week, declared it a success, and had them again today - they are wonderful. Jesse substituted Lyle's Golden Syrup for half of the molasses. Yum.
This week, for some reason, we are meat-a-licious, which is kind of strange. I'm not sure what's up with that, although Jesse did participate more in the menu planning than he usually does...
- Tonight I made a Mediterranean Fish Soup, from Nancy Harmon Jenkin's book, The Mediterranean Diet. Cod, shrimp, calamari, mussels, all with a fish stock and based on an incredible onion and tomato...well, almost a confit. It was excellent, and I made the little flatbreads from Nigels' Diary as well. So so good.
- Jesse made meatballs and spaghetti sauce today while the girls and I were at the library, so we're armed for tomorrow night.
- Pork Chops a la Nigella - flattened so that they cook as fast as they brown - with fresh broccoli from the farmer's market and gnocchi...did I buy gnocchi? Maybe with another side, oops.
- Chicken Stew in the pressure cooker, so Jesse has to make it. I read a comment from Nigella that she doesn't like to cook in pots that hiss at her, and I completely concur, but Jesse is a whiz at it.
- Buttermilk Roast chicken drumsticks, another Nigella recipe I haven't tried yet. They take only 30 minutes to cook, so I love them already.
- Pizza - we've moved it to Saturdays, which is working much better for us.Last night we all stayed up and ate pizza and watched Planet Earth dvds, which was a blast. Word to the wise - not so many predators in the jungle as in fresh water.
That's it from the food department. More, maybe, later.