www.flickr.com

Monday, January 28, 2008

Game


The Cornish hens, as predicted, were too "cute" for the girls to eat - they each gnawed on their tiny drumsticks, but ate no more. Then we learned they'd eaten down the street already - oh, well. Hannah liked the watercress, and Hazel ate half a pound of green beans. Jesse's and my favorite, though, were the sweet potatoes: cut them into big bites, skin on, toss with olive oil, cinnamon, ground cumin, and some s&p, and bake at 425 for 45 minutes. They were incredibly delicious - not altogether sweet, but more sweet than savory...I couldn't get enough of them.

For afters I made another Nigella quickie, a Jumbleberry Crumble, I think she calls it. First you prepare the crumble topping, a quick mix of butter, flour, sugar and baking powder, then pop it in a freezer bag into the freezer. When you're ready, add mixed frozen fruit into a ramekin with 1/2 tsp corn starch, sugar to taste, and a drop of vanilla, stir a bit, then top with your crumble mixture. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes. They were so good, I made one for myself while the girls were getting into bed. Jesse busted me, though, so I had to make one for him too.

The timer just went off - they're ready! A scoop of ice cream, some decaf, and some quiet time - cheers to a delightful night!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those look gorgeous. Kids just love meat on a bone, don't they? Hey, is this turning into a food blog? (no complaints by the way)

peevish said...

There are no words to say how much I love watercress.