www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Open Letter

Dear Hillary,

I was disappointed when I woke up to a story on NPR informing me that while you were going to "suspend your campaign" on Saturday, and announce support for Obama, you didn't plan to endorse him. "Oh girl,' I thought sleepily, "haven't you ever heard of being graceful in defeat?" I mean, there is a fine line between not being a quitter, and acknowledging the facts and moving on. Accept that while you worked your ass off, and you had it in the bag for so long, in the end, you didn't rack up as many points as he did. Some sportsy guy once said, "That's why you play the game," right? You played, he won, sucks for you, it's OVER.

Then I checked my e-mail, and saw a letter from you:

"Dear Sinda,
I wanted you to be one of the first to know: ...On Saturday, I will extend my congratulations to Senator Obama and my support for his candidacy. This has been a long and hard-fought campaign, but as I have always said, my differences with Senator Obama are small compared to the differences we have with Senator McCain and the Republicans.

I have said throughout the campaign that I would strongly support Senator Obama if he were the Democratic Party's nominee, and I intend to deliver on that promise. "

"Strongly support?" What's the difference between that and endorse? Hang on to your delegate votes (again, heard it on NPR) in case you can use them in the fall? WTF??

Here's the example I see you setting for my little girls - if you don't get what you want, act petulant, split very fine hairs, say nice things that don't quite go as far as they should, and look like you don't mean them.

So, no thanks. No thanks for your historic precedent, no thanks for your half-baked support of the Democratic candidate. No thanks, I won't choose to CONTRIBUTE, as the large red button at the bottom of your email suggested, so that you can recoup the personal money you threw after the donations you received because you refused to call the game.

Please send me another letter when you decide to endorse Obama, to truly get behind the party's choice, the people's choice, and to stand by your word. When you're done playing those word games for which Bill became so infamous. When you release those delegates in acknowledgement of the ploitical truth.

I think you're an incredible person, an incredible woman, and I think there are many wonderful possibilities ahead for you, but I can't see how they will be yours of you can't make more of this moment in history by showing grace in defeat.

I'll be watching my inbox.

Sincerely,
Sinda

No comments: