www.flickr.com

Monday, September 22, 2008

... is more important to you than noldo*

I've been composing lovely posts for you recently...I just haven't had time to write them. It's been crazy what with the Ike planning, and then the Ike coming, and then the Ike aftermath.

In the meantime, I've planted my Victory Garden last weekend and this weekend, and Jesse hammered in T-posts so I could construct a rudimentary fence to (hopefully) deter the deer and rabbits. When I say rudimentary, I mean any mammal worth her salt could find her way in and out...I'm counting on really dim creatures more than I am counting on the fence.

The weather is finally changing - I know, it's like it's fall or something - and I've regained some interest in cooking again. Today: chocolate chip cookies and Panzanella Salad. The latter was a quick lunch, and a great way to use up summer veggies. I made bread yesterday, so that was handy. The bread recipe is one in which little yeast is used, and you can let the dough rise for about as long as you want - it's very forgiving, and an excellent recipe. The cookies were incredible - the only nuts I had on hand were of the pine- or pea- variety, so I intended to substitute oatmeal, but it wasn't necessary - the dough was fine without either. I used fleur de sel...and wow were they good. Can you tell how much I love Deb at the Smitten Kitchen?

I went to see Ani last night with my sister and some friends - Lisa, we missed you! It's hard to believe it's been 17 years since we first saw her at the Cactus Cafe. Oh, and an aside to Lisa - we saw Gretchen & Ann there.

I'm obsessively reading several political sites, and will often share a link to a good entry (check out the Feeds for Thought links over there on the right). I liked Aaron Sorkin's message, via Maureen Dowd, in Sunday's NYT. Frank Rich's treatise on Truthiness is worth reading, too.

I'm not even going to talk about the Apocalypse.

I think I've justified another cookie. Now that I feel we've caught up a bit, I might blog about some other stuff...or, I might not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Googlism is endlessly entertaining to me

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Oooooh, I gotta try that bread!