www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

We three kings (are very very tired)

I was straightening my desk today, when I came across an HR bulletin regarding holidays, and noticed that Puerto Rico gets to celebrate three additional holidays than we do - including Epiphany. This wasn't news to me, but it's notable because, not long after, I had my own epiphany.

I realized that since mid-July, I've had one huge project after another, each dovetailing right into the next, with literally no break. Last night, I turned the most recent one in, and today I was able to straighten my desk. Oh, and as Jesse pointed out, I've been sick for the last week or so. Ding ding ding! The little light in my head came on and illuminated my stress and hopeful sojourn from it. So far, my future holds only everyday work projects, nothing major, and while that may not last long, I'm going to make the most of it while I can.

I have, however, been able to water my little Victory garden daily, except for that one day this week when it rained. Ya'll, I have a lot of hopes pinned on this little space, what with apocalypse and all. The economy may fail, but by god we'll have radishes to eat! And kohlrabi.

This weekend is heavy brush pickup in our neighborhood, so I'm looking forward to getting outside and savaging the ligustrum. This dry, hot summer has really stressed it out, and I'm hoping it's so weak it will die when I dismember it. Wow, that's really violent, isn't it? I have strong anti-ligustrum feelings.

Can I just mention, apropos of nothing here, necessarily, but of my evening, perhaps of my strong feelings, that providing your children with violins can have a negative impact on your serenity? Consider yourself warned. I mean, I'm happy they chose to get out their instruments and play, and I appreciate how much they've learned, but I really don't need to hear them each trying to top the volume of the other.

Also, I want to note that I'm not sure how I spent my time online before this election. What will I do when it's over? Well, I'm assuming we win, of course - if we don't, I'll either avoid the news altogether, or anxiously troll for emigration opportunities.

Oh, oh and? And! And I finally got Mad Men on Netflix and I'm going to go watch some now. So there.

2 comments:

peevish said...

Mad Men is mad fun, though kind of depressing sometimes. But always pretty. God, I love Joanie.

peevish said...

And I hope you have a nice long break from big projects.