www.flickr.com

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Inside

There have been few days so far this season that foreshadowed winter, but today truly felt like one. Cool, damp and gray, it came to an early end as we turned on more lights and started cooking to stave off the darkness.

We leave in a few days, so I'm determined to use up the food we have on hand as best I can - a task not aided by the weekly CSA basket which came today. I'm hopeful my sister will stop by this weekend and claim some greens for her own...

In the meantime, I made a cabbage salad with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and sugar, tossed and chilled, and then added toasted walnut pieces. Jesse and I keep grabbing bites as we walk by.

Years ago, a Chinese woman - wife of a graduate student in one of my classical Greek classes, I think - taught me to make eggplant, and I haven't used her recipe for years. I tweaked it a bit, but still managed to use ALL of the eggplant I have, which is quite a feat, and it's pretty tasty - just sauteed with sesame oil, chili flakes and garlic until much reduced, then stirred with Thai basil leaves, mirin, rice wine vinegar, and tamari sauce.

Jesse is preparing a stirfry with bok choi, chicken, and assorted other vegetables as well, so it feels like quite a feast. I think I'll light some candles. It's a good night to stay home, inside and cozy.

2 comments:

blackbird said...

Gosh! That all sounds so GOOD! Especially the eggplant...

Agent X said...

I could use that eggplant recipe. My mom and I were just discussing the large amount of eggplant we get from the CSA box and what the heck to do with it. I know eggplant parm, grilled and faux ratatouille.