www.flickr.com

Monday, November 03, 2008

Reading List

I hardly know what I'm going to read after tomorrow. I mean, Insha'allah, assuming all goes well.

Over the past few months, I've accumulated quite a reading list to get me throughout the day - every day. In honor of my HOPE & CONFIDENCE, and because I have to post something tonight, I'm sharing my list with you. You're welcome.

Lisa referenced one earlier, and it's one that has sustained me through some dark moments of doubt - Nate Silver's 538.com . If you need a polling fix, some reassurance that the race is not tightening, or just a touching story, head over here. Nate rocks.

Democracy in America has been there for me for much longer - it's one of the first political blogs I started following regularly. The blogging arm of The Economist, its authors are anonymous - I think I must've found it because one is here in Austin. While some sites publish seemingly indiscriminately, the DIA bloggers measure their posts carefully and I can always count on meaningful and insightful posts. Also, I like that they're not de facto for Obama - they're honestly objective.

Think Progress posts a little more frequently, and a little more partisanly (if that's a word). They're great for calling out hypocrisy and the occasional snarky post, but they're also incredibly thorough and are sure to have a post on everything that happens - they don't miss a beat.

Andrew Sullivan must be running on adrenaline and caffeine, because he's been posting consistently for weeks now, multiple posts a day. He writes the Daily Dish for the Atlantic, but by Daily, he means Hourly. Or Minutely. On tomorrow, he writes:

Today is a brief pause because a little quiet never hurts anyone making a decision. Tomorrow, the Dish will be relentless in bringing you every morsel of anecdotage, every sliver of exit polls, and every telling photograph from the field. That's because you'll be writing it as much as I will.

If Think Progress misses anything, Andrew Sullivan has it.

Freakonomics isn't political, it's economical, and obviously those are two closely entwined topics these days. From the funny to the philosophical, I can count on them for an interesting read.

Last but not least, Jezebel always has something for me, whether it's Daniel Craig (for you, Lisa), or a sweet observation about Barack as a dad, or the Liberal Feminist Agenda.

After tomorrow, what will I read? Assuming, again, that Obama wins (Jesse is groaning - you'll jinx it!) there will hopefully be a respectful pause before people begin tearing into him, a pause filled with hope and jubilation. If McCain wins, there will be no shortage of punditry, but I don't know if I'll have the stomach for it.

What's on your reading list?

No comments: