www.flickr.com

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Cold and grey, I tell you

After several summer-like days last week - or at least, spring-like - today blew in cold and grey, perfect nesting weather. The girls alternated between slugging each other and playing restaurant, a game in which Hannah cooks for and waits on Hazel, after they've transformed the living room into a posh dining space. Unfortunately, the smoothie Hannah made was tainted with soured milk, so I sped up my menu-making efforts and headed to the store.

Jesse will be gone next week, so I have prep-intensive meals this weekend, then easy ones for the week.
  • Tonight, we had pot roast, cauliflower, and salad. The cauliflower was that beautiful orange-y one, steamed then finished in the oven with a bit of gruyere in it - quite the best thing to do to cauliflower, in my opinion. I'm not sure if the girls had eaten much since the sour milk incident - they inhaled food tonight. I also made Nigel's Orange Marmalade cake, with Hazel's able assistance, and it was perfect with a cup of tea after dinner.
  • Tomorrow, Nigel's chicken stew with cannellini beans, another winter favorite.
  • Savoy cabbage, sauteed in brown butter, served with buckwheat noodles.
  • Sauteed Bok Choy in peanut oil and with roasted peanuts, and jasmine rice.
  • Broccoli rabe with orecchiette pasta, an old standby
  • One night designated for leftovers - we'll see how that goes
  • And one night designated for eating out, since Jesse will be home.

Last night we ate at Hecho en Mexico, a new restaurant on William Cannon (near Escarpment) that friends of ours recently opened. We had the ceviche campechena, which was wonderfully fresh and a perfect starter. The girls each chose nachitos, the individual chips of which were nicely stacked with refried beans and cheese, and easy to eat one at a time (not glued together willy-nilly like so many places serve them). They also came with a side of rice, and all kids plates have the option of beans and rice or broccoli. Broccoli - yay!!! My kids love it and so few places offer a vegetable for a kids' side. I had chicken enchiladas, with a poblano mole sauce that was just right, and Jesse had the cochinita pibil, one of my favorite dishes. Everything tasted terrific, and the service was equally great. It's a pretty little restaurant in the strip center, modest but well done, and if you live down south, you should try it out. They don't yet have their liquor license, so be warned. I'm thinking we may go back when Jesse gets home next week...

The CSA veggies were amazing this week - I chopped up the broccoli and the rest of the cauliflower for snacks for me and the girls, and will need to use beets, mustard greens, and arugula somehow. The oranges and grapefruit imported from the valley are so good, they inspired my cakemaking today. I may even feel compelled to make fresh juice tomorrow...

4 comments:

Casey said...

"The girls alternated between slugging each other and playing restaurant"

So glad to know it's not just my kids who spend their "nesting" time knocking the tar out of each other. You know, when they're not being Pokemon and pretending to knock the tar out of each other.

Your menu sounds delicious!

Badger said...

On my last CSA pickup day, I traded my bok choy for a couple of extra oranges just so I could juice them. They are SO good!

Vetmommy said...

I will have to try Hecho on one of my work lunches... will they let you BYOB until you get your liscense?

phd in yogurtry said...

Need to check out Hecho -- and you're right, you almost never see decent veggie sides for kids.