www.flickr.com

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Day 1

Up early this morning, to take girls to 9:30 playdate (by early, mean 8 AM). Then off to Book People, for annual 20% off EVERYTHING sale. Book People not yet open, so in to REI for their sale - purchase Prana pants and soft, soft zip-up wrap. Anthropologie next, for leisurely browsing without children, then finally back to the book store, where there was now a line.


  • Good Evening, Mrs. Craven by Mollie Panter-Downes*
  • Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson*
  • Put Out More Flags by Evelyn Waugh**
  • The best of Wodehouse**
  • Emotionally Weird by Kate Atkinson (why don't they carry Case Histories?)
  • The bartender's Bible***

Jesse gets two books, I get a notebook, and everything is $100. I use my $50 gift certificate Jesse gave me and feel like I'm stealing everything for just $50.

* Persephone Books

** Apparently it's all things British day

*** My guests will thank me

Down to the playdate to retrieve the girls by noon, but we end up having Turkish coffee (Jesse) and tea (me) and cookies with the parents on the back patio while the kids play with stuffed animals and Harry Potter paraphernalia.

Stop at small french bakery about which I've heard good things, but it is closed for the holiday. Step next door into vietnamese restaurant about which we'd just heard last night and enjoy pho and vietnamese sandwich for lunch.

Home to pack, the to sister's to deposit children for the night. On to Whole Foods, where I find whole mackerels and big, lovely scallops for tonight's dinner. Jesse not as excited as I am.

Home now, house clean and quiet, save for NPR and faint sounds of football from back bedroom. Have red wine, prosecco, chocolate mousse, and aforementioned fish and a long evening stretching before me. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

peevish said...

What? A child-free whole night??

Happy New Year!