www.flickr.com

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thinking out loud

Jesse is home, and, after a brief burst of transitional angst, everyone is content. He and Hazel are playing King's Corner, Hannah is seated nearby, drawing, and I'm - what else? - perusing cookbooks.

We have a potluck party to attend this afternoon, and I want to bring something just right. I pulled out David Tanis's book, a platter of figs, and I could spend all day in it. I had fleetingly thought about the shell beans in my freezer, from the CSA this summer, and lo! Tanis has a simple recipe for them that looks perfect. Now I just have to decide if I make it for home or for the party...

Or, I could riff on his salumi plate, the picture of which so captivated Hannah when she first saw it.

Wait! I think I've found it...the Spinach Cake! David Lebovitz made it, and I linked to his post about it earlier. I have mustard greens from last week's CSA, and my little garden is full of random greens - spinach and chard aplenty. We have fresh eggs form down the street...and it's a dish best served cold. Perfect!

Please excuse me - I need to go harvest some greens. I'll let you know how it comes out.

2 comments:

phd in yogurtry said...

Mmmm, spinach cake. Taste anything like beets in chocolate cake? We've got spinach and I'd love to serve it (unknowingly) to my family of spinach-haters.

Sinda said...

Ms. Yogurt - there's absolutely no way to disguise the fact that this is made of GREEN vegetables. It's in the oven now, and it smells heavenly.

I'm not sure how to disguise spinach - I bet Jerry Seinfeld's wife's cookbook has ideas, though!