www.flickr.com

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Everything is Red, Silver & Gold

I've been a Nigella Lawson fan for years, probably since Lisa gave me my first book of hers - Nigella Bites, maybe - Lisa? Her piece on Morning Edition pimping Nigella Express caused me to immediately log on to Amazon and order several books; one for me, and one each for several friends. So it should come as no surprise that when I heard her on Monday, again on NPR, talking about Nigella Christmas, I promptly put in my order.

It came today, a welcome arrival at the end of a long day. I took the girls to their well-check visit, drove home in peak rush-hour traffic to get a sick, congested Jesse, then back out again for comfort Mexican food at our favorite neighborhood spot. I don't like getting home after dark, even if it's my own doing, so I was happy to sit down and crack open the new book while Jesse helped the girls get ready for bed. Hazel came out to snuggle with me for a bit, so we ooohed and aaahed together at the lovely pictures and descriptions.

At one point, I commented, "Look at that - she takes pork tenderloin, cuts it and rolls it out, puts stuffing on it, rolls it back up, and wraps it in bacon!" and Hazel exclaimed, "Oooh, I love her apron!" That's my girl.

I don't always like her shortcuts, but I love her style and her attitude towards cooking, and I never worry about changing her recipes - they seem meant to be adapted to your own style. I'm also exited about the many and varied holiday gifts, as we tend to make things for the teachers each year, and I'm always on the lookout for new ideas.

Here's her site, if you haven't already been there: I especially love the product promotions she does, in the Nigella Loves section - just things she likes. I just checked, and she's recently promoted both Nigel Slater's new book and Ayelet Waldman's - LOVE indeed.

1 comment:

Agent X said...

You kinda forgot to mention she is totally hot! Just my opinion I guess...