www.flickr.com

Sunday, March 27, 2011

I did it

OK, OK, I know I said I wouldn't make this an exercise blog, but I did just run my first race today, so I feel like I need to put that out there before I move on.

Hey! I ran my first race today!


It was fun - super-crowded, what with 22,000 people running alongside me, but once you got past the crush at the starting point, it wasn't too bad.

Jesse and the girls found me during the race to cheer me on, then met me at the end.

As did the Krispy family, because they are awesome like that.


I mugged for the camera in front of the hordes of people - many were still streaming in.


I averaged 11:21 minute miles, which is right where I normally end up. I signed up for the Austin Fit "Run Like a Girl" training program at the beginning of the year, and highly recommend it for any first-time runners. We met for the 10 Saturdays leading up to the race, and they gave us a recommended training program for each week. It really helped me work up to this distance, and introduced me to the "run 5 minutes walk 1 minute" approach which I think makes any distance do-able.

I'm not sure I'd want to run a longer race, but I'd run a 10k again. Next stop: The Rookie Tri. I really need to work on my swimming...

4 comments:

blackbird said...

Go you!

Sinda said...

Thanks, BB - you are so kind and so sweet to keep me and my near-dead blog in your thoughts.

I think you should come to Austin to visit Badger and me. Don't you need a little weekend getaway?

xoxo

Kathy said...

Yayyyy! So awesome. It looks super exciting. The Cap10K is an iconic race and now you can say you did it! And maybe next year, I'll be able to say that too. I hope.

And yes, Blackbird TOTALLY needs to come to Austin, and bring K and the boys. There is music, film AND book stuff here (also food/cocktails); it's not all 10Ks all the time or anything. Sheesh.

Krispy said...

Yeah Sinda! I'm glad it was fun. I've always been totally disinterested in races and the like, being very uncompetitive by nature, but races are a heap of fun. And give one a goal. I know you are going to have fun doing the Rookie!

[and remember your picture of "before" when "we didn't realize it had gotten so bad?" I think my picture with you above is that picture.]