www.flickr.com

Monday, May 19, 2014

Virginia said it best

Oh, Time.  What with all the fugiting and the passing and the not waiting - you're not very accommodating, are you?

I've mentally drafted several posts but most of them just boil down to, "Fuck! I'm running out of time!" so what's the point of that, really?

Let's just consider it read, then, and move on. 

Austin is doing its best to make us stay, or at least make us regret leaving.  The weather has been glorious, unseasonably spring-like for this late in the year, the wildflower showing the best that I can remember, the restaurant patios more delightful than ever, and my friends and loved ones have been exceedingly kind, thoughtful, and just heart-breakingly beautiful.  There are plenty of really good reasons to make this move and I don't regret it for a second, but wow has it been/is it/ it will be rough to contemplate saying goodbye to life as we know it here.

I did tell someone recently that when presented with a list of 9 negatives and 1 positive, my tendency is to focus most of my energy on that 1 positive.  I'm not espousing this way of life*, but I do recognize I that I ignore the bad stuff.  That said - these are the really good things floating around in my head these days and for which I am grateful:

  • The Kitty has found a new home - and even better, one in our neighborhood, with an animal-lover-extraordinaire.  It is the best possible place for her and while I am going to miss her fiercely I feel such a relief knowing she will be in good hands.


  • The House is sold and now I'm a renter and I feel pretty good about that.  It's nice realizing that any catastrophic events or stupid roofing issues or deciding which critical improvement project gets our "extra" money first aren't our problem any more.  Hurray!
  • The Girls are doing great and are looking forward to seeing Jesse (one month!) and living our totally temporary jet-set lifestyle what with trips to DC, NYC, AZ and San Diego before we head off to AU.  AU?  AUS?  OZ?  QLD?  I haven't settled on one yet...
  • The Work wraps up in T minus 8 days and OMG I will be unemployed for the first time since I was 15 and worked at Art of Eve in West Oaks Mall.  That was a weird experience but I did get free rodeo tickets out of it...
 I think what I am appreciating most right now are the amazing people in my life.  I'm spending a lot of time thinking about how I can be a better wife/mother/friend etc., and it turns out, the more you do for others, and deepen your connections with them, the happier you are.  This is revelatory along the lines of my eat less / move more newsflash, but cliches become cliches for very good reason.

I guess that's my message for today - choose happy, choose to connect.

* turns out I am -- go figure.

No comments: